What is Supported Housing and how to refer...
Torfaen and Blaenau Gwent Mind’s supported housing project provides 4 furnished supported houses within the borough of Torfaen. This consists of 2 houses in the Pontypool area and 2 houses in Cwmbran in which tenancies are placed on bedrooms and communal areas are shared between tenants in the houses.
The supported housing project offers people who are experiencing mental health problems and are in need of accommodation, a rehabilitation service in temporary supported accommodation, which will lead to permanent resettlement.
Referrals can be made through professionals or the self. An application form, full risk assessment (completed by a professional), authorisation to share form and equal opportunities form is required to be completed. On receiving this application a personal needs assessment will be carried out with 2 members of supported housing staff to find out current needs and on this basis a decision will be made shortly about offering a tenancy within the supported housing project.
- The objectives of the supported housing projects are:
- To offer a good standard of temporary accommodation in an ordinary house in the community
- To offer tenants the opportunity to develop new skills and goals
- To provide a flexible approach, remembering that each tenant is an individual with different skills, talents and needs
- To enable tenants to develop support networks within the community
- To assess the tenants abilities and needs to develop an individual support programme with each tenant
- To regularly review, and as necessary, revise the support programme as tenant’s abilities and needs change
- To offer tenants help to understand and manage their mental health
- To identify tenant’s permanent accommodation needs
- To help find suitable move on accommodation
- To enable move on within an agreed period of time
Pre Tenancy 16 + Male only Project
The project has been sent up since January 2011 and so far 100 referrals have been made to the project.. These referrals are based on the criteria of potential homeless or homeless and people experiencing mental health issues. These referrals have come from a number of sources such as self, Housing Options TCBC, Gwent DIP, Talygarn, Day Services at Torfaen and Blaenau Gwent Mind, Supporting People TCBC, Housing Torfaen and Blaenau Gwent Mind, Gofal (to name but a few).
The Project has now been integrated into the Supported Housing Project due to its natural flow from pre-tenancy to housing and provides a number of flexible supportive services to meet client’s needs so to improve, enhance and maintain mental well-being, to provide hope, developing goals towards change and working towards the future. For example:
- Working to secure and maintain a tenancy
- Working to enable people to live independently
- Working to manage mental and physical health
- Accessing other specialist services
- Claiming benefits, budget and managing money
- Improving confidence and self esteem
- Providing access to social networks and activities
In the interim the project is able to provide emotional and practical support especially when a person is in crisis, potentially homeless or is street homeless. So far there has been 11 presented as street homeless with currently 2 persons utilising this service (this is a conservative number as some people did not return after initial presentation who may have been homeless). During this time we offer the use of the Centre’s facilities (showering, utilising the washing machine) and supply of hot/cold food-stuffs and beverages as well as practical and emotional support.
For more information on either call us on 01495 757 393